Make In India Campaign
What is a Make In India Campaign?
Make in India is an initiative of the Government of India to encourage companies to manufacture their products in India. It was launched by P.M. Modi on 25 September 2014. The Make in India program includes major new initiatives designed to facilitate investment, foster innovation, protect intellectual property and build best-in-class manufacturing infrastructure. The major objective behind the initiative is to focus on 25 sectors of the economy for job creation and skill enhancement. Some of these sectors are automobiles, IT, pharmaceuticals, textiles, aviation, tourism, hospitality, railways and electronics.
Visions of Make In India Campaign
Manufacturing currently contributes just over 15% to the national GDP. The aim of this campaign is to grow this to a 25% contribution as seen with other developing nations of Asia. In the process, the government expects to generate jobs, attract much foreign direct investment, and transform India into a manufacturing hub preferred around the globe.
The logo for the Make In India campaign is a an elegant lion, inspired by the Ashoka Chakra and designed to represent India’s success in all spheres. The campaign was dedicated by the Prime Minister to the eminent patriot, philosopher and political personality, Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya who had been born on the same date in 1916.
Why PM wants to Make in India
The Prime Minister called for all those associated with the campaign, especially the entrepreneurs and the corporates, to step and discharge their duties as Indian nationals by First Developing India and for investors to endow the country with foreign direct investments. The Prime Minister also promised that his administration would aid the investors by making India a pleasant experience and that his government considered overall development of the nation an article of faith rather than a political agenda. He also laid a robust foundation for his vision of a technology-savvy Digital India as complementary to Make In India. He stressed on the employment generation and poverty alleviation that would inevitably accompany the success of this campaign.
Benefits of Make In India Campaign
- Impetus on developing Industrial Corridors and Smart Cities.
- A new ‘National Industrial Corridor Development Authority’ is being created to coordinate, integrate, monitor and supervise development of all Industrial Corridors.
- New Industrial Clusters for promoting advance practices in manufacturing.
- Approval accorded to 17 National Investment and Manufacturing zones.
- 100% FDI allowed in Defence sector for modern and state of the art technology on case to case basis.
- 100% FDI under automatic route permitted in construction, operation and maintenance in specified Rail Infrastructure projects.
- Process of applying for Industrial License & Industrial Entrepreneur Memorandum made online on 24×7 basis through eBiz portal.
- Validity of Industrial license extended to three years.
- Process of obtaining environmental clearances made online.
Most importantly, the Make in India program represents an attitudinal shift in how India relates to investors- not as a permit-issuing authority, but as a true business partner and intended to boost the domestic manufacturing industry and attract foreign investors to invest into the Indian economy.